[TenTec] Corsair 2

rick@dj0ip.de Rick at DJ0IP.de
Thu Feb 23 17:07:38 EST 2017

"boards built in China"

This is probably the silliest idea I've heard in a long time.

When you say "Asia", that's pretty wide open.
More specifically it needs to be China . . . which is on its way out with
the next cheap production region being Africa.

When you want to do business with the Chinese, it requires a lot of
scrutinizing their work and takes a very long time to get your partner
company to understand that you want to negotiate quality, not price.

ALL of the Chinese shops seem to think price price price and nothing else is
important.  They seem satisfied with 25% failure rate.

AND, Dishtronix already has the machines and they are paid for, they are not
on lease or financed.

And final correction:  "that's what American radios sounded like in the
1970s, perhaps 80s."  They don't sound like that anymore and probably never
will again.

Hilberling has built an analog transceiver, the PT-8000.
It doesn't use all of this digital stuff.  Instead it has a graveyard full
of XTAL filters and it costs about $12,000.

If you want an all mode radio today then you will want XTAL filters for 15
kHz, 6 kHz, 2.4 kHz, and 500 kHz. 4 filters.  Ah but if you are a contester,
then you'll want a 1.8 kHz filter and a 250 Hz filter.  AND, if you are
really into digital modes, you probably want a narrow filter with a
different passband center:  7 filters.

And to cope with today's heavy QRM you'll want more than 70 or 80 dB of
ultimate attenuation (which is all you can get out of a single conversion)
so you will want a 2nd IF and all those filters again in the 2nd IF.  This
brings us up to 14 filters.

The current cost of Xtal filters is about $100 each, tendency rising.

OK, so we're starting with $1400 worth of XTAL filters, but have nothing
else.

Sorry, this story just won't pan out.  We live in a different world today
than in the days of the Triton or Corsair.

What we need is direct sampling front end and DSP filtering AND a company
that is willing to pay attention to audio purity.  This puts the entire
radio in the price class of 14 xtal filters.

My 2c worth.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)