[TenTec] notch filter for Eagle?

rick@dj0ip.de Rick at DJ0IP.de
Fri Jul 21 11:37:49 EDT 2017

Gary,

We don't all have the same likes, wants and needs.
There is no one-size fits all.

The only reason I joined the thread was because a couple of people dinged the Eagle's auto-notcher for not working on CW.  Well I am not aware of anyone's auto-notch that can distinguish between the desired Morse signal and the disturbing signal.

When people started trashing the auto-notch in favor of the manual notch, I decided to join in and share my experience with SDR and show just how good a good auto-notch can work.
When I have my razor-sharp CW filter (1.04 shape factor) at 50 Hz, I simply don't need a manual notch filter on CW.  And on SSB I get amazing results with my auto-notcher.

For the life of me I can't see why one needs a notch filter for FM, but then I have no intention of working FM on HF.  I haven't done that for 50 years now.  Way back when in college we did that.

As for the 7300, keep in mind we have far worse condx over here than in the states.
You may not even need it there.

I run only one antenna here (limited by the landlord) and it is an all band OCFD cut for 80m.  On 40m it has 4 lobes which means it picks up in almost all directions.  The EU broadcast stations come roaring thru.  So when on 20m with just 10dB of preselection from the 7300's front end, I foresee problems - easily overcome with a preselector.

But I don't have a 7300 yet and may never own one so it's not really an issue here yet.

73
Rick, DJ0IP

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Dukes HiFi
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2017 4:35 PM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] notch filter for Eagle?

Rick:

Sorry, I misunderstood. I guess I thought we were talking about Eagle/Orion radios and I carried the thread forward.

That level of notch performance you describe in the SDR is pretty darned good!.

The other day, when I said “end of thread” for me, that certainly was not an order to stop the topic. Of course I am not a reflector moderator and have no authority.

I only had gotten to the point at which I thought there might be some folks who were getting tired of my sort of monologue on the topic. Several interesting comments have since been posted by others, including yourself, on the topic.
It is still an interesting discussion, though as others have said, its importance in day-to-day operation is limited.

Your comment about the IC-7300 and the possibility for adding a preselector is well taken. I was not aware of that and might even look at it myself since I do really like the radio otherwise.

Still no word from Ten Ten on new products so what the heck???

Gary