[TenTec] [] Running a Century 21 on external 12V power

Josh Gibbs gibbsjj at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 16:42:09 EDT 2017

Hi Chris,

The hum is present in the speaker, just not so noticeable because it is
much less sensitive and much further from my ear. I suspect the speaker is
less responsive to frequencies below 120Hz than my headphones, which helps.

I have tried other headphones. I have also listened to the audio directly
at the output of the audio amp board. Even when I short the input to the
audio board to ground, I can still hear the hum. Even when I powered the
pre-amp and audio amp boards via external 12VDC the hum remained. I'm
pretty confident the hum is magnetically coupled. The only time I don't
hear the hum is when I power the radio entirely from external 12 VDC.

Is this normal for this rig, or is there a problem? That is what I'm now
attempting to determine!

The radio works great otherwise, and I likely would never have noticed
anything if I hadn't plugged in my headphones =)

I've learned a lot while working on this radio, which was one of my goals
in buying it. Big thanks to the the awesome amount of knowledge of the
Ten-Tec list, and willingness to share it!

73,

-Josh WA7FPV