[TenTec] Current state of TenTec?

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Tue Jun 13 12:36:44 EDT 2017

TenTec has always been close to me, When
deciding which radio would be better than
my TR7, the then new Corsair II caught my
eye and I've had it ever since. I
inherited an Omni V and though it was a
fine radio, it was not as reliable as the
Corsair so I let it go.

I was deciding between the Orion 2 & the
Elecraft K3 and was put off by how
infrequently the updates to the Orion were
being made and impressed with the
frequency of the updates to the K3, so I
went with the K3.

I've always loved TenTec, partially
because they were made in the USA, I'd
been to the plant in Sevierville but
mostly what a fantastic radio the Corsair
was and it did everything asked of it and
was reliable.

I knew the company had been sold and
things were up in the air a couple years
ago but last night I went to the TenTec
website and when I clicked on the
different radios my browser warned me the
HTTPS was not valid so I had to remove
that from the url and then I could get to
the pages. The Omni 7 said not available
and overall I was surprised with the
non-functioning web pages. That, and
they're not making the Omni 7 any more.

What's the status of the company? Are they
now like Colins, National & Drake or is
the ham aspect still alive?

Thanks & 73,

Gary