[TenTec] Serial numbers and date of manufacture

John King k5pgw at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 28 23:50:22 EDT 2017

My Omni VI model was purchased from Ten Tec used (like new)  but I don't know the date of manufacture. I bought it in early 1990s.The serial number is 563--90A10032 and my earliest service invoice is dated 1995. I recall paying almost new price as the Omni VI had not been out very long. I cannot find the invoice for purchase.
I would like to know the date of manufacture if someone can decode 563-90A10032 to determine year and month of manufacture.
My Omni VI is my favorite transceiver even though I have much newer and more complicated transceivers. My Omni VI is beautiful and works great It only  needs calibration of an oscillator because the readout is off by 90HZ low on 3.925 and on WWV at 10 megacycles. 90 Hz is not anything I can't deal with, but I would like to find the proper oscillator and bring it up that 90 HZ so the readout will be correct I have not verified the readout error on all bands however it has the same discrepancy on 80 meters and WWV so that indicates to me that it must be a fixed frequency crystal that needs tweaking.
I hope that some Ten Tec historians and technical gurus will assist me to figure the date of manufacture and help me find the fixed oscillator to adjust to make it readout 90 HZ higher.
MY first Tentc was a Model 544 Triton Four, (I have 2),and I have Omni D (1), Scout 50 watt model with all but i modules and the 563. I would have bought an Orion, but it was too complicated for an "old" knob twister.
If Ten Tec would build a new Omni VI with slightly more features but basically the original OMNI VI layout and features, I would gladly buy a new one. For now nothing I have pleases me more than my Omni VI.
I will be watching for input from my fellow Ten Tec owners and operators. Please assist me if you can.  73, John, K5PGW