[TenTec] OMNI 6+ weak tone on receive

Gary F dukeshifi at comcast.net
Tue Mar 21 19:19:41 EDT 2017

Sounds like a compromised ground somewhere.

The Omni 6 had plenty of digital noise. Ten Tec did a lot of good work putting grounds here and there, plus some insulator tape here and there to reduce that digital noise.

If any of that work is disturbed, you will get this sort of digital hash through your audio.

There also may be a bad decoupling capacitor somewhere, allowing digital hash to appear in the audio.

Since you can notch it out, you can forget about the noise coupling into the AF stages.

Pull the case off, remove the 6.3 MHz filter (or select one of the narrow slots that has no filter in it) and see if the tone goes away. Please report back.

Gary

W0DVN

Sent from my iPad