[TenTec] corsair 1

Dukes HiFi dukeshifi at comcast.net
Tue Mar 28 22:31:51 EDT 2017

Those may cause a problem, but that problem would have always been present. The thing could never have worked since, no one in their right mind would change the and the radio certainly would never have left Sevierville with that error in place.

The display in that radio is a real counter, as I am sure you know. However, it is only “counting” the VFO. The remaining display counts are preloaded as an offset,  depending upon band. This offset takes into account the BFO frequency (9 MHz nominally) and the crystal HFO ( varies with band). On some bands, it adds the PTO to the offset, on some it subtracts the PTO from the offset. In all cases the display needs information from the band switch to tell it what offset to use and in what direction to do the math.

If the VFO jumper is unplugged, the offset values are as follows:

160, 80 and 40  = -.1.0000
18 and 10 =  91.0000
20, 15, 12 and 10 = 09.0000

These are the Sideband Normal numbers.  Add or subtract 3 KHz for the reverse sideband.

The counter should pass this test regardless of other problems in the radio unless the bandswitch information is wrong or corrupted (by a dirty switch wafer).

If there is NO signal at the VFO input, the display simply displays the offset. However, this is unlikely since you get proper operation on the mentioned bands and the pTO does not care what band you are on, its output is always the same.

Gary