[TenTec] Power supply for Hercules II

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed May 10 18:49:34 EDT 2017

I don't see the need to change the power connector. If the cable from
the power supply is split to all of the pins on the stock power
connector, it's current rating is quite sufficient.

I DO agree with using short, fat copper between the supply and the amp.
There ARE industrial grade SMPS units that are good enough, but they can
be hard to identify, and even the best are likely to require RFI
suppression in the form of serious common chokes on both the AC and DC
side. Use guidelines in the Choke Cookbook in k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf.

As to the super capacitors -- if large enough to support the load, a
super cap can reduce the IR drop in the DC wiring between PSU and rig.
This can be a big deal if you're running SSB and powering audio
interfaces from the same PSU as the rig or power amp. The IR drop in the
green causes the voltage between the rig, the PSU, and the audio
accessory to be modulated by the envelope of the modulation, which can
couple into the audio and sound like RF feedback. At the 100W level,
I've measured several hundred mV between PSU chassis and rig chassis.

73, Jim K9YC