[TenTec] Century 21 audio hum

Carl Moreschi n4py3 at earthlink.net
Tue May 30 16:57:51 EDT 2017

I don't think 8 ohm headphones were correct.  I think much higher
impedance phones forces you to turn the volume up and drown out the hum.

Direct conversion receivers are susceptible to a hum because the VFO is
running at the operating frequency and can mix externally with 60 hertz.
  This is then detected in the receiver as a hum.  I used to put .01
caps across my HW8 power supply to kill this RF and remove a lot of the
hum.  Electrolytic caps don't work at RF.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com