[TenTec] Omni V Keypad Intermittent

wes Bolin k5apl41 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 18:03:26 EST 2017

Some of the switch buttons on my recently acquired Omni V were acting
intermittently.  Some more than others. When I opened the keypad, the
original foam rubber was disintegrating and missing in areas.  After
several iterations, i think I have solved the problem.  I ended up putting
new foam in the keypad.
To get to the keypad, all knobs were removed, along with the nut on the
Phones jack.  I didn't remove the nut on the tuning encoder.
I also removed the 4ea. black Phillips screws from the 4 corners.  Removing
the two screws at the top of the panel bracket will let it fold down to get
access to connectors from the radio plugged into the front panel.  Pulling
the connectors allows the panel to be laid down, removed from the radio
chassis, and laying on a soft towel.
Then the 8 small Phillips screws are removed from the keypad and it can be
lifted up and off.
The original foam was one large piece with appropriate holes in it for
switches, etc.  I
tried to punch holes in foam sheets with little success, so I ended up
laying strips of foam beside each switch that a "leg" or two extending from
its button.  First try was
1mm foam rubber from Hobby Lobby- it was too hard.  Next I tried using
0.5mm foam that I got from ebay.  One layer still didn't eliminate
intermittents.  So I opened it up again and added the second layer of 0.5mm
foam, so now it 1mm thick.  It works.

IMPORTANT:  When reassembling Connector 95 to the front panel, one male pin
from the base is exposed on the right hand side ie. there are more male
pins than female.  I suggest taking lots of pictures with your digital
camera.

Now the Old Girl works as she should, with some TTWiki updates and N4PY
firmware.
I had one when they first came out, but sold it a long, long time ago.  Now
I finally have another one and I am a happy camper.
Wes

TenTec Omni V
Triton IV