[TenTec] Omni C on 160

Rick at dj0ip.de Rick at dj0ip.de
Sun Nov 26 05:16:09 EST 2017

I agree with Carl.
This is stressing my memory a bit as I bought my Omni A in 1979... but as I
recall, on one of the early pages in the operating manual, Jack wrote that
the gain (or sensitivity) of the radio is intentionally reduced on the low
bands because it does not need to be as high as on the higher bands.  If
kept at the same level, you would just amplify the noise along with the
signal.  So it begins low and gets progressively higher as we go up the
spectrum.

As to the setting on the dial, I can't remember exactly.  It may very well
be that it happens to be the same "indication" for 160 and 80.  That is only
an indicator, it is not the same setting because the elevator had different
coils and the radio had different capacitors for different bands.  I
wouldn't worry about that.

Being as old as it is, you might want to do a re-alignment of all the coils
anyway.  I think the instructions on how to do that were in the manual.
Be careful when adjusting coils.  After sitting for so long, they tend to
get stuck.  Begin by gently rocking the tuning tool back and forth slightly
to break the adjustment loose.  Then once it is turning freely, adjust it as
per the manual.

My buddy still has my old Omni A and has retired it.
I will retire from Spiderbeam in about 35 more days.
Once retired, resurrecting the old Omni-A is on my to-do list.
As is resurrecting my old Argonaut 515.
AS is designing an Interface-Box for the EAGLE to control Amp switching
timing for CW, external REC-ANT, etc.
...which all begins right after I have completed my XYL's Honey-Do List.

73
Rick, DJ0IP