[TenTec] New Computer

Steve Berg wa9jml at frontier.com
Sat Oct 28 17:54:03 EDT 2017

I use a Lenovo Thinkpad 410 as my shack computer.  I maxed out the RAM
to 8 gb.  I bought it from their off lease/refurb website.  I am now
experimenting with using it with some digital modes on VHF, and it works
fine for computer logging.  I run it under Windows 7 64 bit.

When I emptied out my cousin's house after her demise, I found a 1999
vintage IBM Thinkpad in a case on the floor.  It had been dropped and
kicked a bunch and I wound up reinforcing the display hinges with
epoxy.  I plugged it in and fired it up and it worked.  It had a small
hard drive in it, and was set up for her job at the railroad and was
running under WIndows ME.  I had an older and larger IDE laptop drive,
so I formatted it, and installed Windows 2000 pro.  Then, I maxed out
the RAM to 256 megabytes.  It runs a Pentium 233 MHz processor.  It
still works fine for word processing and some spreadsheets, so I will
keep it.  It now runs under XP.  It is a real testament to the
durability of the Thinkpads.

Steve WA9JML