[TenTec] New Computer

rick@dj0ip.de Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sun Oct 29 04:48:59 EDT 2017

BINGO Jim! (un)reliable power was the reason I switched from a desktop to a
laptop in the mid 1990s. That was especially troublesome in contests.

Once everything went Windows (meaning contest software), I took my oldest
laptop, installed DOS and the one and only program (app) I installed on the
computer was "CT".

For the non-contesters, CT is the old DOS-based contest logging software.

I stuck with CT until WIN-TEST announced.

We actually did the premiere announcement of WIN-TEST on our "Appello" booth
(the TEN-TEC booth) in Friedrichshafen, either the first or second year that
the Orion was launched (can't remember which).  The French authors gave us
all a free license for WIN-TEST so I finally dumped CT and went Windows for
logging - but still on a laptop.

Rapid recovery in contests was the reason I continued with a laptop.

NOW:  Jim, if we are both honest with ourselves, I don't think either of us
old men are ever going to win a contest again.  I haven't won a contest
(overall) since 2005.  And we're not getting any younger.

I only have a tiny shack in the corner of my home office.  Desk space is
scarce.
I have a high-quality full-size keyboard, "without" all the extra keys to
the right of the Letters.  That space is shared by the paddle and the mouse.

The Computer is a Lenovo ThinkCenter M73 - about the size of a cigar box,
yet relatively powerful. It will stay on Win-7 for a long time to come.  It
only runs ham radio software, nothing else, and I don't know of any ham
radio software requiring Win-10 as a minimum, but tens of programs that have
trouble with it.

I put ferrite (clamps) over both ends of all the cables and so far I haven't
had any trouble with it interfering with the station.

But I did have trouble with the station interfering with it.  Since the
ThinkCenter did not come with WiFi, I ran a long shielded Cat-5 cable to the
router.  Every time I used the linear (500w), it crashed the router.  So I
removed the long Cat-5, now connect with a WiFi stick and everything is OK.

IMO, Lenovo is the ONLY way to go.

73
Rick, DJ0IP