[TenTec] centurion

Floyd Sense floyd at k8ac.net
Fri Apr 6 19:36:24 EDT 2018

Rodney - chances are good that EVERYONE who owns a Centurion has a meter
that doesn't read correctly.  Changes in value over time of the resistor
string involved in developing the meter voltage will result in an
erroneous reading.  The meter has a separate cheap single-turn pot in
series with it to calibrate each of the voltage and current
measurements.  The  pots age and change position with vibration when the
amps are shipped.  To further complicate things, quite a few Centurions
were shipped with meters that weren't the full scale reading value that
the design called for.  So, if you use the official Tentec procedure to
calibrate the grid current scale for example, the result will be
incorrect readings.  The best approach for the high voltage reading
would be to use a high-voltage probe on an external voltmeter and see
what the high voltage really is under no load and then adjust the HV
calibration pot to match that reading.  Unfortunately, you can't get to
any of the meter calibration pots without removing the cabinet and
defeating the HV interlock switch.  While it's possible to simply remove
all the screws and slide the cabinet towards the rear a bit so you can
get to the pots, doing so can result in the interlock switch activating
and probably destroying the bias resistor(s).  You can assume that I
know that from experience.   Of course, once you have the HV meter
properly calibrated, the voltage may still be reading too low, which
indicates power supply problems.

73, K8AC