[TenTec] continuing: Omni 6+ no receive and very low power on 12/15 m

MadScientist1948 dukeshifi at comcast.net
Mon Apr 30 23:49:04 EDT 2018

I really can’t figure out why no one thinks that the crystal oscillator board might be at fault, as I had suggested 2 weeks ago.

This is the ONLY part of the radio that can cause a simultaneous failure on both 12 and 15 meters. A bad solder joint (a Ten Tec specialty in that era) on the filter array that feeds the LO amplifier after the mixer on that board will kill both receive and transmit on 12 and 15 meters.

A bad solder on any part between D43 and D38 will kill the LO on both 12 and 15 meters and produce exactly the symptom described. Both oscillators will work but their output (which, by this point, is mixed with the 5.0 to 5.5 “VFO") will not reach Q6, the first stage of the amplifier of the LO signal.

Gary