[TenTec] Jupiter Display brightness EPIC FAILURE

Fernando n2fq at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 3 18:42:13 EDT 2018

Well.. the old display was easy to remove

without removing the front panel.

Four nuts and two cable assemblies.

So far so good.

Was able to remove the bezel by straightening

the holding tabs. Wow.. this is going to be

easy. NOT.

After removing the bezel what is left is

LCD glass with a loose card stock type of

material, same size as the LCD glass below it.

Below this is what looks like a translucent

material with a reflective backing below that.

The backlights is embedded on both the

top and bottom edges of this substrate. The backlight consist

of a row small light thingy.

OK.. so  far so good.

I was thinking of putting a row of LEDs

on the two opposite sides which don’t have

any light, shining it through the edge

of that translucent substrate. Now to find

the right size LEDs.

So I decided to reassemble the display

so that I don’t loose anything.

WHAMO… the LCD glass needs to be tight

against that translucent substrate. WHY..

Otherwise you get missing lines and/or rows.

Took the display apart again, checked everything twice.

Reassemble, tighten those tabs on the bezel

real good. Not as many lines missing now but disappointed.

Gave up.

BUT, I need that flat cable for the new

display. Double side pc with a solder wick,

nope.. solder sucker … nope.

Difficult to remove a ribbon cable while

trying to heat up 20 pins simultaneously.

Didn’t work..

My desperate solution, short of purchasing

a Hakko desoldering station, was to slice

the cable lengthwise about an inch from

the display board and heat/pull each of

those pins individually. Whew.. close call.

Soldered to the new display, put back into the rig, like new.

So.. A near catastrophic experience that I don’t recommend.

Those Youtube videos I was relying on, was a bust with

this type of display. Maybe I overlooked something but

won’t do this again. Lesson learned.

Hope someone can glean from this experience.

thanks for the bandwidth.

A few flickr photos here <https://www.flickr.com/photos/69763609@N04/43830937651/in/dateposted-public/ <https://www.flickr.com/photos/69763609@N04/43830937651/in/dateposted-public/> >

73

Fernando N2FQ/6