[TenTec] Centurion & Tubes

Bob McGraw K4TAX rmcgraw at blomand.net
Sat Aug 4 09:52:17 EDT 2018

I've often heard hams say that they are operating at reduced power on
their 3-500 amps.   Reason, to save the tubes.   Well that may not be
accurate and, in fact, may just be the opposite.     The 3-500 series
has a coating on the anode {plate} that when heated where the anode is
showing a bit of color is used to degas the tube.   Secondly, have you
determined the efficiency of the amp?   If not, you should, as one may
not be operating at peak efficiency which means the redundant heat is
dissipated in the amp and the tubes.   Tuning, loading and grid current
are the three critical ingredients which keep efficiency high and
contribute to long life of the tubes.    Operating at less than rated
power, meaning tuned for less than rated power is most likely causing
the amp to operate at less than peak efficiency. The most critical
component in amplifier operation is GRID CURRENT.   Exceeding the grid
current rating will do more to damage a 3-500 than about anything else.

To determine efficiency;   Plate volts X Plate current {amps} = DC input
power {watts}.  Then;  Output power {watts} / Input power {watts}  X 100
= efficiency %.   This number should be greater than 60%.    If not,
something isn't correct.    Example:    2800 x .800 = 2240    Then;
1400 / 2240 x 100 = 62.5%

In the above example, the plate voltage is 2800 volts, the plate current
is 800 ma or 0.800 amps, the DC power input is 2240 watts, the power
output is 1400 watts,  divided by power input times 100 equals
efficiency in percentage.  These values are the correct average for a
pair of 3-500ZG tubes as used in the Tentec Centurion.

My rule, always tune for maximum power output, increase drive and
re-adjust Tune and Load to have maximum output and with rated or
slightly less than rated grid current.   If you wish to operate at lower
power, reduce the drive from the transceiver and DO NOT change any Tune
or Load values on the amp.

Today, a pair of 3-500ZG tubes will cost more than a SB-220 is worth.
NOS tubes are always a risky choice.

73

Bob, K4TAX