[TenTec] Omni VI+ S meter troubleshooting

Phil Erickson phil.erickson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 19:01:50 EST 2018

Hi all,

  Today I had a chance to open the Omni up, desolder the S meter and get
the face off.  Indeed, the needle was good and stuck mechanically against
the internal spring.  Gary W0DVN had the answer: not even a 1/4 turn CCW of
the tension pot freed everything up and now it's working fine!  Thanks to
all for the suggestions.

  While working with a calibrated signal generator, FYI,  I discovered that
even with the S3 and S9 points set correctly with the adjustment pots, the
S meter scale is definitely not linear (1 S unit = 6 dB) in between those
marks.  Not too surprising - it's not a SDR after all.  I've already made
up a calibration table in case I really need to know.

73
Phil W1PJE