[TenTec] list opinion(s) on Omni VII and/versus Orion

pa5mw at home.nl pa5mw at home.nl
Tue Dec 11 10:30:55 EST 2018

The russian navigation beacons are on 160m active and just appear in the noise (1813.1)

I just compared my both ORIONs using that exact CW-like signal :

ORION serial ending 4 (inc RX366)Fw V3.32:  weak and ringing  sound at 100Hz BW. Better at 200Hz BW where ringing is gone, but still just not as good as the other ORION.

ORION serial ending 5 (fw 1.373b5):  clearly readable and total absence of any ringing.

I recall upgrading above 2nd ORION to V3.32 a few years ago, and found it was just not as good in reading weak signals at the smallest BW.  So I downgraded it back to V1.373b5 for just that reason.
A/B comparing it to the other ORION now confirms the earlier found differences.

I had similar performance differences with an OII (fw V3.x) which behaved exactly like above, which for me now is an indication it is fw related.

73
Mark PA5MW