[TenTec] No Reception on an Omni D Series B

forum4ll at verizon.net forum4ll at verizon.net
Thu Dec 20 00:17:47 EST 2018

Hello Everybody. Thanks for allowing me to join this group.
I am troubleshooting a Ten Tec Omni D that belongs to my boss. I just repaired the VFO and that appears to be working OK but the primary problem this radio is having is no reception but it has annoying birdies. The lack of reception was determined with a signal generator injecting an audio tone of 1uV to 100uV at different frequencies across all the bands into the antenna port. I couldn't find or hear to signal on the receiver. As for the birdies, they will appear at least once or twice on each band. Some are extremely loud like a BFO on steroids.

Would anyone have some ideas what is going on here? Come Monday, I will again inject a signal into the antenna port and use a signal tracer to see where the signal drops off. It seems like the block diagram/schematic from Ten Tac should make this hunt easy. That's my hope at least. This unit is exhibiting some cracking/aging 0.10MFD film caps all over the radio. I replaced 4 of them on the CW Filter already but there are more that needs attention. All of the interconnects and pins have been cleaned with De-oxit. If there's anything obvious I missed, let me know.

Thanks,
Lyman LewKK6LPW