[TenTec] molex?

Carlos carlos.peco at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 16:56:41 EST 2018

Thanks Jim,

I found the connectors not reliable enough when they get old... but perhaps
nobody was expecting radios lasting as long as some of ours, or maybe it
was decided to keep the molex in order to be backwards compatible with
previous models.

In my case I have found a tool to remove the sockets from the connectors in
order to re-apply some tension (clean and close the spring-sockets a bit)
and they should be good for another 20 years of service.

Before finding the tool, I was using thin metal tubes scavenged from the
telescopic antennas found in FM radios. There should be some youtube videos
about pin/socket removal.

73,
Carlos VK1EA

On Sunday, December 23, 2018, Jim Brown <k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

>> Do we know why these connectors were chosen for 100W radios and the
>> Hercules II amplifier, with little or no margin as the connector ages?
>
> As an engineer who was employed during those days, you have to choose
from products that are both available and affordable. As an active ham
today, I long ago standardized on the Red/Black Power Pole connectors, and
every radio I own, every DC-powered accessory for everything I own, is
adapted to Power Pole. I no longer own any Ten Tec transceivers, but when I
did the Molex cable went to a Power Pole, and that's what got re-plugged as
the radio moved. The Molex connectors on my Herc II and Titan 425 amps
don't get replugged much -- every few years would be a lot -- and I've
never had a problem I could blame on them. I can find no fault with the
choice of those connectors. AND -- we can stil buy them today, 40+ years
later!