[TenTec] Omni 5, Omni 6 5.0 to 5.5 MHz PLL saga -- for the repair archive, except for the editorial comments

MadScientist dukeshifi at comcast.net
Thu Sep 6 12:47:24 EDT 2018

As I TRIED to point out on the CCA reflector a year or so ago, generally speaking, alignment is a very poor way to correct radio problems, and I KNEW that. It was my creed!  For my rather strong preference for this TRUE fact over folklore, I was “unsubscribed” from that reflector. Their loss, not mine...

In this case, since light tweaking of the IF adjustments (at a point at which I could easily return to the original settings, the ONLY way I use alignment as a troubleshooting tool) DID improve things a bit so I mistakenly presumed that someone had misadjusted them previously since most of the slugs on this board were seized to the point at which I had to replace many of the cans. That usually does not occur unless someone forced the slugs with the wrong tool.

Gary