[TenTec] Various Sites

Bob McGraw K4TAX rmcgraw at blomand.net
Wed Sep 12 09:49:22 EDT 2018

Wes:

Based on your findings, i.e. tuner didn't work,  and then it did work,
then it stopped working, does indicate to me a faulty connection as
opposed to a faulty component.    I keep saying this as I've experienced
it many times both with ham equipment and professional equipment.   Fact
is,  connectors which stay in place for a long period of time will
oxidize.  In many instances, simply unplugging the re-plugging the
connector provides the wiping action adequate to allow signals to
pass.    Sometimes just moving the cables around will wiggle the
connector enough to all penetration through the oxidation and restore
operation.......for a little while.    Hence, my suggestion for cases
just such as you describe would be to "clean connectors".

Again, I offer my suggestion.   Using a contact cleaner of your choice,
I like Cramolin or Pro Gold, apply a small amount to a Q-Tip swab and
scrub the male pins of each connector.  Then plug it into the female
connector, unplug it and re-plug it a couple of times.  This allows the
contact cleaner to wipe onto the female pins.   Usually this takes care
of many intermittent and ill defined issues.   Doesn't always cure the
patient, but in many time, it does.   Never spray contact cleaner into
the radio as one has no real control as to where it might end up.  More
is never better in this case.

73

Bob, K4TAX