[TenTec] Omni VI audio problem

Stan Gammons s_gammons at charter.net
Mon Sep 17 21:00:01 EDT 2018

Hi All,

I was tinkering with an old D-104 T-UG8 that I had put a Heil conversion
kit in since the original element bit the dust. I ask for an audio
report from some of the locals that know what I sound like and they said
I sounded terrible.  So, I switched to the Ten-Tec 707 mic, same report.
So, I tried my trusty old EV-638. Same story.  I didn't try it with the
converted D-104 to see what it sounds like. They initially told me it
sounded like the mic was picking up something like a fan maybe, so
turning the gain down helped a little but not a lot. SO, today I decided
to put the Omni VI on a dummy load and listen to it with my Drake TR7.
Yuck! The Omni VI sounds terrible!  It's almost like there is a little
bit of a carrier and it has what sounds like digital hash on it. It gets
worse the higher the mic gain is cranked. When I modulate, the audio
sounds all distorted. Even without modulation, if I turn the processor
on and crank it up, the digital hash in the audio seems to get even
worse. SO, just to make sure it wasn't something weird going on, I did
the same thing with the TR7.  I put it on a dummy load and listened to
it with the Omni VI. I tried it with the same mics and the audio is
clean. No hash or anything.  Anyone heard of a problem like this with an
Omni VI?

73

Stan
KM4HQE