[TenTec] Omni V Assistance Needed

MadScientist dukeshifi at comcast.net
Sat Sep 29 16:44:08 EDT 2018

Likely your issue is in the synthesizer circuit or, more likely a capacitor somewhere in the power supplies. The lack of lock condition would allow significant receiver noise but the “Loss of Lock” error should show on the display if the PLL is out of lock.

However, the synthesizer could be in lock condition and still present no local oscillator to the receiver or transmitter mixer, but the lock fault would not be seen on the display in that case.

“Healing” is a common trait when marginal soldering (common on Paragon PLL boards) and old electrolytic capacitors are involved, as are thermal faults.

The very best way to troubleshoot is to acquire some freeze spray and allow the radio to warm to fault condition. Then lightly spray components in the areas of concern to see which part causes the radio to go into proper operation. It usually only takes a small amount of cooling action to elicit thermal failure problems.

You can pretty well spray anywhere in the radio without harming anything but try to prevent over-cooling, which could cause freezing so extremely as to cause water condensation.

Also, you can use  hair dryer with a small focusing nozzle on the blower output to aim heat on parts (with the radio already cold) to see which part causes the fault condition. Again, this is safe for all of the parts in the radio as long as you use a air dryer, not a heat gun, which can melt parts.

Gary