[TenTec] Updating Orion II Firmware

K3GHH k3ghh at arrl.net
Thu Apr 4 21:03:17 EDT 2019

Thanks, Barry... I'm going to QRT for tonight and see if I can get all
those cables reconnected behind the transceiver and amplifier. Maybe try
a different laptop tomorrow.

This Dell Inspiron has a serial port but it's female and all the cables
I can find around here also have female ends --- the only two males are
on the serial/USB converter cable and a short Y with two females on the
other end.

I don't know how to tell if COM3 is the one connected to the Orion, but
it was the only one not giving a "That port is not available" error.
Also don't see where to find or select the baud rate.

PS: Re my optimistic "progress" post --- shortly later the process
failed,  "communication with the radio failed" or something like that.
It wasn't behaving properly anyway.

On 4/4/19 8:13 PM, Barry Simpson wrote:
> Hi John
>
> Are you sure that COM 3 is actually the one connected to your O2 ?
>
> Does your old XP laptop have a serial port ? If so I would be using a
> serial cable direct from the laptop to the O2.
>
> Have you got the correct baud rate set  - 57600  ?
>
> Barry  VK2BJ
>
> On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 at 10:47, K3GHH <k3ghh at arrl.net> wrote:
>
>> Apologies for the elementary question, but with 3.033xa running (and
>> even that was installed by the factory, after service) I obviously don't
>> do this very often. Now trying to go to xe.
>>
>> I'm using an old Windows XP laptop with a cable from the O-2's serial
>> port to a laptop USB port through an adapter. After trial and error I
>> found that COM3 did not give me a "Port not found" error, so I'm using
>> that. The "Ten-Tec Flash32 Flash Update Utility" seems to be running,
>> and the laptop screen shows a "11175 total data lines in file" message.
>> A couple of the laptop lights are blinking; one looks like a disk icon
>> and another like a battery.
>>
>> But there's no action showing on the Orion screen --- just "FLASH UPDATE
>> MODE" and "Press any key to exit." From previous work I remember
>> progress being shown on the O2 screen, as the manual says it should be.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>>
>> -- John K3GHH

-- John K3GHH