[TenTec] USB to serial adapter cable that works with OMNI VI??

Jeff (W4DD) w4dd09 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 08:47:29 EST 2019

I would be cautious about buying off of Amazon or ebay.  I purchased a
couple of units and they created a lot of RF hash that made reception nearly
impossible (I used them in my truck to find power line noise, 10m hamstick
on the back of the truck).  I eventually purchased a Sabrent SBT-FTDI from
Newegg.com for $14 and it was RF quiet.  I have used the Sabrent unit for
several years and have had no issues.

I also had a similar experience with shielded Ethernet cables.  I purchased
a set of 5 off of Amazon.  The shields had resistances of 1-20 ohms.  The
drain wire was compressed against the metal shell, not soldered and that
connection varied in resistance.  I then purchased 5 Amphenol cables off of
Mouser.com ($7 each).  The drain wire on those was soldered to the metal
shell and all had resistance of less than 1 ohm.

As a side note, if you run a cable modem and  router for your home
installation, you will likely find the cable modem is grounded via the RG-6,
but the router is floating (no connection to ground).  Connecting the cable
modem to the router with a 3 ft shielded Ethernet cable extends the ground
to the router and lowered by 80m noise level significantly.

Jeff, W4DD