[TenTec] OMNI VI Model 563 -- no digital readout

Gregory Smith gsmith_007 at msn.com
Sat Feb 16 11:14:47 EST 2019

Repeat problem on my Omni VI, Model 563 -- no digital display.

First repair: No digital display or digital LED functions. No clock or data on uP pins 7 & 8. I replaced uP with gold plated quality socket and replaced all the electrolytic caps with Nichicon units.  Powered up, still the same problem. Standard reset procedures in the manual did not correct the issue. Held 'Lock' button in, powered up. The display came on with everything working normally.  The set worked for two months flawlessly until yesterday -- no display and both meter lamps dim.

Failure symptoms:
Logic board (81606) 5 pin display output connector #90: no clock or data present.
uP output ports P1-6 clock & P1-7 data - no output
All buttons working enabling associated leds
receiver works changing frequency with dial
meter backlights dim. Removed #90 display connector and meter backlights normal.

I'm absolutely stumped at this point, any help would be very appreciated.

Greg W2GLS