[TenTec] problem with no audio control on OMNI V

Greg S oldlongbeard at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 09:41:30 EST 2019

Plug in headphones and an external speaker.......I've seen the jack contacts corroded.
Greg, KC8HXO

 Subject: [TenTec] problem with no audio control on OMNI V
 To: "ten tec list" <tentec at contesting.com>
 Date: Friday, January 18, 2019, 9:29 AM

 I took my OMNI V off the shelf last night as
 part of the effort to pare down the radio count as per XYL.
 Been a while... anyhow first of all I
 had to reset it (BTW, it has the OMNI V.9 chip in it) in
 order to see proper band setup as per chip and to have them
 display properly.

 Found that it seems to have RF-in level
 control via the pot --- but the amplified audio is not
 there... very low audio and the audio is not controlled or
 altered via the audio pot.. rotating the pot does not change
 the audio level (low). It stays a constant low level. I did
 a quick look at the circuit in regard to the audio and IF
 board and took out plug 55 and reinserted it, which I
 believe is the cable from the audio control.
 I gently pushed most of the white
 connector plugs firmly into their sockets on the boards on
 the bottom.
 Any ideas... the audio pot itself and
 its white cable connector is on a quite inaccessible
 assembly behind the front panel, of course.

 Is it likely or possible for the pot to
 fail, or is there some other likely thing that comes to
 anyone's mind?

 tnx

 Brien VE3VAW