[TenTec] Paragon Finals and other woes

Phil Erickson phil.erickson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 08:57:27 EST 2019

Hi all,

Every Omni VI I've picked up over the past few years, all five of them,
> have had issues... some subtle, some major. I will eventually just keep the
> best two on the operating bench, and keep two for spares. The earlier VI
> will get sold. I think almost any vintage TenTec should be approached with
> the expectation that there will be a problem in the rig if you look hard
> enough, or there will be one soon.

  Speaking as a person still in the middle of several very puzzling
problems on a VI+ (which have been detailed here and which have received a
great amount of help - thanks), I can definitely amplify Pete's statement.
If you look at these rigs as a great RF troubleshooting and learning tool,
you'll be happy.  Sometimes, the problems even morph and change shape on
you as you repair one of them.  However, if you want something that just
works, I would suggest an IC-7300 and move on with life.

73
Phil W1PJE