[TenTec] 9420 VS Switcher

Gary Hendricks k4mt1950 at charter.net
Sun Jun 2 04:50:27 EDT 2019

I have been looking at the schematic for my 9420 supply and it looks
like the output of the series regulators have no over voltage
protection. If my memory doesnt fail me I think when I was working at
TenTec I remember hearing the service guys talk about pass transistor
failures on this supply being somewhat common.

Has anyone used one of the high current switching supplies on the
Hercules II amp? I see some avail at 14 volts and 100 amps with every
protection built in.

Thinking about letting 9420 go and using one of the switchers because of
the protection built in

Thanks

Gary K4MT