[TenTec] Scout 555: power goes down as frequency goes up

Carlos carlos.peco at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 06:12:02 EDT 2019

Well, mistery solved.

One of the two drivers (2SC2166) is crook. At least they are cheaper than
the MRF455 finals.

A popular auction site is plagued with counterfeits, it is too risky to buy
there (I was badly burnt with 4 x VRF2933 recently). Any good source out
there ? Buying RF devices from China is like going on a picnic to a
minefield.

73,
Carlos VK1EA

On Saturday, June 1, 2019, Carlos <carlos.peco at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> I measured the power generated in "tune" mode. I did not have a
microphone or a key with me, but the low power issue appears in both SSB
voice or with a key.

> QRG    PWR    I at 12.5VDC
>
> 3700   10W   5.4A
> 7200    9W   5.2A
> 14200   8W   5.0A
> 21400  0.5W  1.8A
> 28200  0.25W 1.5A
> 28700  0.2W  1.5A
>
> I don't know if this is one of the Scouts with the FET driver. Going for
a trip tomorrow, I hope to check it next weekend.

> I bought the radio from ebay Australia, it was a total scam. It took me a
while to fix all the issues, I even had to fit a new PTO shaft (the radio
had been dropped by someone and it was bent).

> 73,
> Carlos VK1EA
>

> On Saturday, June 1, 2019, MadScientist <dukeshifi at comcast.net> wrote:
>> Does your Scout have the FET driver transistors or the bipolar?
>>
>> Can you measure current drawn by the radio when transmitting?
>>
>> If so, check to see if the current draw on the weak bands is the same or
higher than on the strong bands.

>> As it happens, the signal going through the driver stage can get
distorted (harmonic distortion) and these harmonics go into the final  but
not out the low pass filter, so all that lost signal is lost as heat in the
final and LPF.