[TenTec] Titan Repair

MadScientist dukeshifi at comcast.net
Sun Mar 17 13:26:01 EDT 2019

Part of the problem with this type of amp is that the delay turn on does not make it easy to, say, operate the amp at a  low voltage on a Variac to locate problems at safe working potentials (and currents).

Not sure if anyone mentioned is, but, if you do have a Variac, you can separate the primary and secondary wires from their connections and simply operate the transformer from the Variac. Of course, use a fuse in the supply to the transformer.

If you are able to ramp the Variac to full voltage without popping the fuse (all high voltage wires suitably and safely contained1) then your transformer is OK. An AC ammeter in the primary will be very helpful here.

If you are able to get, say, 20% Variac setting without significant current draw, and then experience an abrupt rise in current at some point on the Variac, then your transformer has a high voltage breakdown point.

If you get pretty high current draw (a few amps) at low Variac setting, and with no load connected to the secondary, likely you have a shorted turn in the transformer.

Gary W0DVN

I could do the repair on your amp but have so much work stacked here that I can’t take on any more.