[TenTec] The New Radios and the Radio Companies

Rick at dj0ip.de Rick at dj0ip.de
Fri May 24 15:29:29 EDT 2019

And I agree with Mike:

It's the antenna, stupid!

73,
Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)
May the Sunspots be with us!

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec <tentec-bounces at contesting.com> On Behalf Of Michael Tortorella
via TenTec
Sent: 24 May 2019 19:31
To: k9yc at arrl.net; 'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment' <tentec at contesting.com>
Cc: Michael Tortorella <w2iy at verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The New Radios and the Radio Companies

At some point the Pareto principle takes over - that last 20% increment in
performance requires 80% of the cost.  I venture to say (and am ready to be
shown mistaken) that most hams (except those on this list :) ) will not
notice the different in 1 more dB of dynamic range in practical situations
on the air.  In most stations, the limiting factor in station performance
these days is less likely to be the receiver, and certainly not the
transmitter (except for the power aspect).  Usually, the biggest bang for
the $ comes from putting more wire and/or aluminum up in the air.  Don't get
me wrong - I am not at all against the improvements in technology that we
have seen and surely will continue to see, I only advocate that when setting
up a new station or improving an existing setup, one should prioritize where
to spend your $, and a lot of the time a better receiver will only make you
more frustrated because now you can hear things you can't work because of
transmitter and/or antenna inadequacies.

As always with opinions, YMMV.  Since I really don't have any data to put on
the table, I'm just a loudmouth with an opinion on this subject, so feel
free to agree or disagree.

Thanks for the BW and 73, Mike W2IY