[TenTec] CB

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Nov 3 03:23:09 EST 2019

On 11/2/2019 8:08 PM, John Fleming wrote:
>   we had the 11 meter band and when the sun spot cycle peaked in 1958, conversation with England was normal.

I was around for that cycle, and nothing about it was normal. :)  From
my QTH in WV on the OH/KY border, 6M began with ZS, later W6, then KH6,
then JA. For a while, it was every day.  And this was low power AM (2E26
or 6146 -- 25-50W)!

My only 11M activity was with one of a pair of AM talkies home-brewed by
some seniors in my U of Cincy EE when I was a freshman, 1959-60. They
were in Bud boxes, I'd guess about 3" x 3" x '15". I was probably the
only one licensed, and had my Extra by then. :)

They also built a carrier-current AM TX on the low end of the AM band
that I occasionally loaded into a #18-#22 long wire strung between dorm
buildings that was also a ham antenna. I have a QSL from K4BVD (now
W6OAT, still a good friend, from those days. I'm still working K4BAI,
who grew up with Rusty, and N6AA, since those days. And I was working
K2VCO regularly until he moved of Israel several years ago.

73, Jim K9YC