[TenTec] Problems with Orion II

hb9jnh hb9jnh at bluewin.ch
Tue Apr 28 12:12:02 EDT 2020

Recently I acquired an Orion II with installed ATU. At the time of the
handover I tested most of the functions and everything looked fine. Even the
latest available firmware was installed. I used the Orion for several month
without any problems, mainly with reduced power (20w). But suddenly
following symptoms appeared:

*        After powering on (with normal behavior), Main and Sub RX sounding
very deaf and when I push the TUNE button, the ALC light remains dark and no
signal is transmitted.

*        When pushing the TUNE button or keying the transmitter in CW mode,
the SWR shows always 1.0 : 1, regardless of whether an antenna is connected
or not.

*        Symptoms remains on all bands, in any mods.

*        Relays during band switching, Side tone, keyer, filter etc. are
working fine.

After switching off and on again, the problems are gone. But it can happen
while tuning over the band, the symptoms are appearing again. Sometimes
after 10 minutes, sometimes not at all.

After reading several information here in the forum, I tried following
measures:

*        Made several resets (any kind of resets)

*        Replaced the SNAPHAT battery

*        Disconnected and cleaned every connector and ribbon cable

But unfortunately, none of the measures solved the problem.

Do you have any idea how I can isolate or solve the problem? Any help is
appreciated.

Best 73 de Markus, HB9JNH