[TenTec] TX-100 xmtr on eBay went for $365 !!!

Winston jones_winston at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 4 15:53:51 EDT 2020

Back in the 1980s, I bought the whole set TX-100, RX-10 and 200 VFO. I think I paid about $50 for the TX-100. I sold it not many years later. I was not into novice stuff then and had my extra class license, more into later T-T radios.
I wasn’t very impressed by the TX-100. They had crammed the whole works into one of their plastic sided cases. Tubes were mounted horizontal. All very shoddy to me. I would much prefer a good Heath DX-20.
I held onto the VFO and RX-10 and sold them about 5 years ago. The RX-10 was a cheap direct conversion receiver, similar to what was in PM series. The VFO was the best of the lot, with a revolving drum type scale, similar to Heath VFO.
I sold them for around the price I paid for them. I don’t believe in charging huge prices for old collectables, unless I have actually put a lot of work and parts into them. If I did charge a lot, I’d feel I was ripping people off, regardless of collectible value. I couldn’t live with myself.
Charging $300+ for the TX-100 is highway robbery, in my opinion, unless somebody replaced a lot of parts and brought it up to pristine standards. Of course, I guess people are willing to pay that kind of money for junk.
Just my thoughts.
73, K4CWQ

Sent from my iPhone