[TenTec] Omni VI Plus problem, help requested?

John Swartz jswartzwa9aqn at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 15:30:57 EST 2020

I have an Omni VI Plus that has developed a problem on transmit. Can
anyone on this list help me, please?

When I power up the transceiver, in CW mode (I only operate CW), it will
generate 80-90 watts output with the PWR control fully clockwise. After
several transmissions over a course of barely 10 minutes, power output
progressively declines and the ALC light dims and goes out.  If I reduce
the power setting to about 3/4 or less, the ALC light will come back,
but power output will continue to decline and as it does so, the ALC
light will continue to dim and extinguish.  This happens on all bands,
but not at the same rate.  On 160, 80, 12 and 10 meters the decline is
much more pronounced and rapid, 40, 30, 15 and 17 decline a bit less
precipitously, and 20 less so.  Even so, after about 15 to 20 minutes of
intermittent CW, there is very low output on any band and the ALC
indicator does not light at all.

If I start operating at reduced power, I can rely on the output to
maintain its level for a greater amount of time, but it does decline
after a while, but I couldn't count on it for any extended operating
period of more than, perhaps, 30 or 40 minutes.

Can anyone give me any ideas about what is going on, and how it might be
fixed?  The receive function is not affected.  I would seriously like to
keep this rig working if I can.

Thanks for your time and attention, 73, John WA9AQN

--
John Swartz
Amateur Radio WA9AQN