[TenTec] Eagle & Heath SB-200 Amp

Gary Follett dukeshifi at comcast.net
Tue Feb 25 11:53:32 EST 2020

You are right to warn about connecting an Eagle (or any other modern radio) to an SB-200 without a keying change. I am guessing that far more damage would be done to the Eagle than just to the keying interface! -120 VDC on  pin 8 of the accessory connector would likely damage just about everything in the radio since there is no relay (or optical isolator) in there to isolate errant voltages from the other circuits in the radio.

The keying line in the Eagle is keyed by Q8, which is keyed through Q6 by the “T” line in the radio. -110 VDC here will apply -110 VDC to the “T” line and then to all other power lines in the radio - complete destruction of the radio will be the result.

Even converting to a 12 VDC T/R relay might pose issues since there is a pretty low current limit for the Eagle keying line. Also, flyback voltage from the relay can also damage the Eagle.

A properly designed keying interface is the safe way to go.

Gary

W0DVN