[TenTec] Argosy 2

Martin Sole hs0zed at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 22:38:12 EDT 2020

Hi Snowy,

Trust all is well with you. Back in the day, 1980-1990 when I worked on
a lot of that kind of equipment, pro and amateur but using similar
devices, we found 4558 dual op-amps and 4016 CMOS switches to have
particularly bad yields, at least both were very sensitive to damage it
seemed. Recall this was before a lot of people, including companies,
took anti-static precautions seriously so you have a lot of product
potentially out in the world with devices possibly harmed to the point
of a shortened life.

I don't know the particular application but as a mic amp I would expect
you should have DC supply on 8, a good ground on 4 and mid rail approx
on the inputs and outputs. A few mV of audio on the inputs should see a
gain at the output as per R choices. Anything other than that is a dead
chip and I would pull it. Measure supply and bias volts on the board
before you fit another to be sure its not somewhere else.

Martin, HS0ZED