[TenTec] Century 22

Bob, WB2VUF wb2vuf at verizon.net
Sun Jun 21 13:14:02 EDT 2020

Congratulations, Josh, well done!

As others have answered, yes, it is normal for the calibration to shift
when changing bands.  This is a function of the tolerances of the
heterodyne oscillator crystals.  Ten Tec could have put a trimmer
capacitor on each crystal, but that would have driven up costs.  I thin
the Delta 580 has the same issue.  Anyway, if you're lucky, you have the
calibrator.  If, not, Mike, WB8VGE has an aftermarket design.

It should be possible to rig an external digital display, but analog is
part of the radio's charm.

I find that the C22 has really nice audio and the audio filter is
superb.  In, fact, the audio filter takes out the neighborhood plasma TV
and switching power supply buzz where a noise blanker won't.

The internal speaker is good, but the C22 sounds even better when an
external speaker is plugged into the Phones jack.

Elastic dial cord tip:  Before replacing the elastic, make yourself a
sketch of the assembly.  The elastic will last longer if you "park" the
transceiver at the low end of the band when not in use.

Gotta love the "desert tan" front panel.  I don't think Ten Tec used
that in any other product.  I slipped a red rubber filter over the meter
lamp in mine; the red illumination looks cool and saves your night vision!

73,

Bib WB2VUF