[TenTec] Ten-Tec Centurion 422 , looking for a new Tuning Air Cap

Bob McGraw rmcgraw at blomand.net
Thu Oct 15 10:33:19 EDT 2020

David:

The buzz is the result of arcing between the plates of the capacitor.
This typically is the result of the amplifier being too lightly loaded
resulting in excessive RF voltage in the output network.   Or perhaps
the SWR is high.   In either case, the voltage in the PA tank was
excessively high resulting in the arc.   Grounding has nothing to do
with the issue but all equipment should be bonded to a common point for
safety reasons.

You can remove the capacitor and disassemble it.  Then using a file,
carefully file away the rough areas of the affected plates. Then finish
smoothing them with fine steel wool.   The plates are very soft and can
be damaged by excessive force.  I suggest laying each plate on a flat
surface when you are working on it, applying a downward force.  Then
reassemble and install the capacitor.

I suggest you check your SWR on your antenna system.  Any value of 3:1
or greater is not suitable for the amplifier.  Address and correct the
antenna system.    Also when tuning the amplifier be sure to TUNE and
LOAD the amplifier correctly always adjusting for maximum output.  Then
reduce drive to the desired operating power, but DO NOT change any
tuning or loading.

73

Bob, K4TAX

https://www.avg.com