[TenTec] Exline Signal LLC (Again)

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Sun Aug 8 18:22:33 EDT 2021

Good evening all,
A few weeks ago, an email was sent to the list (and other related lists, I believe) recommending Jim WA9Z & his company, Exline Signal LLC, for his work on repairing their Omni VII.
My Omni VII had been exhibiting the dreaded filter issue for a while...
[ ...and I'm very, very thankful I took advantage of the group buy on filters a while back, if anyone else decides to put together another group order, I highly recommend O7 owners due so, just to have the hard-to-find parts on hand... but I digress... ]
...and after contacting Jim by email, I went ahead and shipped the rig and the parts to him.
To say that I am pleased with the work and the results would be a vast understatement.  He told me it would be a few weeks before he could get to the rig; it ended up being less than 1.  He found a few other minor issues, and advised me before doing the work, as any good repair tech should do.  He also alerted me to an update he was doing to the power connection, to avoid issues before they could potentially start, and again asked before doing the work.  His bill for his time was more than reasonable; the prices on parts appears to be his cost with no significant markup.  And the rig was shipped back promptly.  In essence, before the time I anticipated him starting, I already had the repaired rig back in the shack and operating again.
[ Yes, I realize that I could have done this work myself, but to be blunt, neither my eyesight nor my ability to unsolder & resolder components at the board level required are what they used to be.  For me, it was worth it to get the right person or persons to do the work, rather than make a major mistake and have a small repair turn into a major botch, or worse, a dead rig.  YMMV, of course. ]
The ONLY small blemish in the entire proceeding is one that is hardly Jim's fault.  Carelessness on the part of the UPS Driver is not something he could control.  (Driver never knocked on the front door to deliver -- and my wife was home at the time.  No note informing us of the delivery was left.  And worse, he not only put the box by the garage doors, but in amongst the trash cans!  On trash pickup day!  Fortunately, AFTER the trash had been picked up.)
I've been using the rig for over a week now, as time permits, and really enjoy having it back at 'full strength' again.
So if anyone else needs work done on their O7, I highly recommend contacting Exline Signal LLC.
73, ron w3wn