[TenTec] Century 22

Bob, WB2VUF wb2vuf at verizon.net
Sun Aug 22 17:13:25 EDT 2021

Allow me to chime in:

Yes, the keyer is not iambic, so if you are used to a dual-paddle keyer,
you will get messed up in short order, until you train you brain to use
either type of keying.  I use mine with a Ten Tec single paddle or more
often with a straight key, for that "back to basics" feel, which is
appropriate for that type of radio.   Any positive key line external
keyer will work, however.

My Century 22, third hand, is s/n 00364.

The audio filter is indeed, the classic op-amp analog filter, in all its
glory. The filter is actually in  the circuit all the time.  To increase
the bandwidth, the bandwidth pot mixes in unfiltered audio.   Fully CW
is maximum bandwidth.  Mine sound fine and it takes out the local
neighborhood plasma TV noise, which the noise blankers in my other Ten
Tec gear won't.  You can peak the filter with the S meter.

The original drivers and finals were MRF476 and MRF475, respectively.
Because of reliability issues, Ten Tec replaced the drivers and finals
with 2SC1969.  Be very careful about SWR. There is no SWR protection in
the rig; it depends on a fast-acting 5A circuit breaker or requires the
use of the Ten Tec 979 power supply which has a automatic over-current
shutdown.  If you use this supply and are not sure where it's been,
check the current limit setting.  Without protection, a couple of dits
sent into the wrong antenna will instantly destroy the finals. Don't ask
me how I know!  Fortunately, I was able to find a pair of 2SC1969s at RF
Parts.  If you need finals, try to get the original Mitsubishi brand.
There are a lot of Chi-com counterfeit 1969s that are sold for the CB
market.  I downloaded a manual that had some notes typed in by G3VTT on
setting the driver and final biases.

Whether you use low -Z or high-Z headphones, the receiver will sound
much better if you use an attenuator (fixed or variable) and a matching
transformer, if needed.  This will avoid both excessive noise and
blowing your eardrums out.

Sooner or later, you will have to replace the dial cord elastic.

I have collected some notes from various sources on maintenance and
mods, including the filter mods, which I will be happy to e-mail.

Now does anyone have a scan of the 979 power supply instructions or
schematic?  It isn't on the Ten Tec manual download page.

73,

Bob WB2VUF