[TenTec] Centurion Amplifier draws negative grid current-help requested

Bob McGraw rmcgraw at blomand.net
Fri Feb 12 10:45:26 EST 2021

All of this smells of: (a) excessive grid current, (b) gassey tubes.

GRID current is THE MOST IMPORTANT current to monitor on grounded grid
triode amplifiers such as the Centurion, SB-220, TL-922 and other triode
grounded grid amplifiers.    I find that excessive drive, improper
tuning, and improper loading is the cause for excessive grid current.

The 3-500's have a very high vacuum and are prone to have pin-to-glass
seal leaks even when sitting on the shelf.   To de-gas these tubes, the
only and correct way, is to run them with the anode showing red color.
The anode is coated with a material, when heated to the proper color,
absorbs the gas.    Incorrectly, as many hams believe, leaving the
filaments on WILL NOT provide any benefit and WILL NOT serve to de-gas
these tubes.   This applies only to direct heated cathodes such as the
3-500's, 872's and other like tubes.  Tubes which have an indirectly
heated cathode, i.e. 4CX250's 4CX1000's, 4CX1500's and such are quite
different in this regard.

As to correct tuning..........many believe they first must dip the
plate.  { I reserve dipping for those that chew tobacco. } Dipping the
plate is correct for a Class C amplifier.  Linear amplifiers are Class
AB1 or Class AB2.

With a linear AB class amplifier the better way is to adjust the TUNE or
Plate control for maximum output as observed on the power meter,  AND
observe a slight increase in grid current.    This is due to the input
drive power, which does appear in the output power, as the input is in
phase with the output and thus is additive.   When grid current peaks
this assures the path from the input to the output is in resonance.

Second step is to increase drive power to the point of rated grid
current or about 250 ma to 270 ma for a pair of 3-500's.  Then adjust
LOAD control to reduce the grid current to a minimum value.   Increase
the drive power a bit more until grid current is about 250 ma.  Then
adjust LOAD control to reduce the grid current to a minimum value.
Until you are familiar with the process this may take 2 or 3 times.

The objective is to arrive at a point where grid current is at maximum
rated current  with the correct amount of drive power and the LOAD
control does not reduce grid current when increased loading is applied.

You'll notice I have not suggested adjusting the TUNE or PLATE control,
other than at the initial adjustment.  The TUNE was correctly set during
the first step where one tunes for maximum output AND a slight peak in
grid current.   The amplifier is now correctly tuned and loaded and the
drive is at the correct and maximum level.  Never exceed this drive
power level!!!, nor exceed the recommended maximum grid current
value!!!!.   In all of this, I've not mentioned plate current.  In fact,
one can correctly tune and load the amplifier with the plate current
meter covered up. Plate current is not important, unless you need to
determine DC input power.    Volts X Amps = DC input power.

A very IMPORTANT point.    If one wishes to operate at less than rated
and/or maximum output, after adjusting for maximum output, then
correctly one should reduce the drive power and DO NOT touch the TUNE or
LOAD controls.    Thus it was correctly tuned for maximum output and
maximum efficiency.   This is the way the amplifier was designed to operate.

I've used this process with my Centurion of 30+ years old with original
tubes and my later Ameritron AL-80B with a single 3-500.

These amplifiers are designed to operate into a load exhibiting a 3:1
SWR or less.  Excessive SWR can or will likely cause a flash over of the
plate tuning capacitor or the band switch.  Either can be very
destructive.    If your antenna SWR exceeds 3:1, then fix your antenna.
It will likely save your amplifier.   Likewise with antenna tuners, they
should be adjusted at 100 watts or less and usually with the amplifier
in STANDBY mode.    Never adjust the ATU with the amplifier producing
output.

Using the correct procedure, and not believing old ham lore, will save
your amp and your tubes and produce a clean signal.

73

Bob, K4TAX

https://www.avg.com