[TenTec] 238 Manual Addendum (extra cap)

Andy W3LI xtraham58 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 22 13:58:00 EDT 2021

​Hi Guys, just took a look at the back of my TT 238B tuner. The CAP is between the external wing nut and ground. Never used it as it came out of the box.????

Maybe info will help.

Andy... W3LI

If you add the extra cap to the back of the 238 tuner, it is added to position 3, 4, and 5 ---  not just 5. I found this out while doing a repair. The schematic seems to indicate this, but the verbiage in the manual implies it is only added to position 5.

I don’t know if this true of later versions (e.g. 238A), but I confirmed it on two original 238’s.
This means if you decide to just leave the cap there under normal usage, you are missing a large chunk of capacitor range between the end of 1-2, and 3-5 plus the cap.

Bill ACITO | W1PA