[TenTec] Headphone jack problem

oldlongbeard at yahoo.com oldlongbeard at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 10:44:07 EST 2022

Thanks, Marcus! Great work! Could that capacitor shorted internally, and burned the trace?

Greg, KC8HXO     On Thursday, February 17, 2022, 08:38:08 PM EST, Marcus Florido <k4vbb at live.com> wrote:

 Headphone jack problem now solved, but it wasn't anywhere near what I thought it was going to be, and it was a lot more complex than I thought it would be.

I took apart the entire front panel to reach the front headphone jack, de-soldered the jack, took it apart, cleaned it up, and re-installed everything.  To my disappointment it did not change a thing.  Time to break out the O-scope.

After about an hour of probing around and reviewing the schematics, I traced the "end" of the working audio chain to the audio amplifier.  The audio is supplied from the main board on the front panel, and was reaching the amplifier on pin 8, but there was no output on pin 2, which routes the amplified audio to the small circuit board mounted at the rear of the chassis, which then distributes the audio to either the internal speaker, or the external speaker.

To be clear, this audio amplifier (TDA1013B) was NOT the problem.  The problem turned out to be the lack of voltage supplying the chip.  It was getting around 2.5mV, where the voltage should have been closer to 12 (13.8V minus whatever the 3.3 Ohm resistor drops it to).  I traced the voltage path to the main board, where Ten Tec conveniently provides testing pads for the different voltages needed on this board.  All of these pads checked out, with the exception of one 13.8V pad.

To find out why I had to remove the main board.  (If you have to do this, take care of the small ribbon cable that connects the main board to the LCD panel.  It's small and the connectors are delicate.)  After removing the board I IMMEDIATELY found the problem without even having to look hard.  There was a bulging capacitor and about 3 inches of burned trace that provides the 13.8V to the 2-prong plug (#43 -- J905/MT2), which in turn powers the audio amplifier.

The repair was relatively easy--replace the 470uF capacitor and re-create the trace with some enameled 28AWG wire.  I followed the original path of the trace, soldered both sides, and glued the new wire to the board on both sides where the trace ended.  Re-assembled, and was ecstatic that I now had my audio back.

As to why this trace gave way, I have no idea.  That is a mystery yet to be solved.  I just hope that whatever caused it doesn't happen again.