[TenTec] Corsair 2 RX issue

Ken Brown kenradiobrown at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 12:37:09 EDT 2022

Hi all,

I've noticed a similar problem at my station. The receive signal levels
will drop by tens of decibels. Sometimes I hear it happening and it takes a
couple of seconds. to drop from normal signal levels to the much reduced
levels. Sometimes it happens when I'm not listening and it just seems like
maybe I switched bands and forgot to readjust the antenna tuner. One tap of
the key and the receive signal levels are restored to normal.

It was easy for me to guess where the problem is, because it started when I
added a coaxial switch to my system. I suspected flaky contacts on the
switch and was able to confirm this by changing the switch back and forth
between positions. That restored to receive signal level just like a short
transmission did..

The switch causing the problem is a two position  Daiwa switch. I have seen
and own other very similar switches with other names, such as MFJ on them.
I have also experienced similar problems with Dow Key and other coaxial
relays. Presumably a layer of metal oxide forms on the contacts, causing
high resistance in the signal path. Some small motion of the contacts or a
bit of transmit power can break through the oxide and reestablish a low
resistance connection.

Of course this could occur in relay contacts inside the radio too if it has
any. Don't look only to the radio for the problem though.

Ken N6KB