[TenTec] Bad USB modulation Omni VII

Michael Rutkaus mrutkaus at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 15:30:22 EDT 2023

So, I don't get on sideband much.

Using the Omni VII on 20 meters with a friend just now, he describes the
modulation as horrible; another guy in our little net agreed.

I use the "MON" feature with headphones and I hear a decent signal no
distortion. Maybe slightly muffled and a touch boomy but no distortion.

BUT it seems that now I have to speak with my mouth right on the
microphone. It is the TT 707 shiny chrome mike that came with the deal. I
seem to remember being able to speak farther away from the mike to get the
same peak ALC lights.

It almost seems as if the microphone is going bad and I have to speak too
close. But again, the MON signal I hear is more or less perfectly
distortion free.

I have initially set menu everything according to K4TAX's notes and then
fooled around with stuff, nothing changes much in the reports I get or even
in the MON sound I hear.

If it were RF in the shack would it show up in the MON signal I hear? (An
FTDX1- right next to it puts out a good signal but I guess RF interference
could happen to one tx and not the other.)

Oh well if anybody has any ideas please advise.

73
Mike
K4QET