[TOEC] SAC 2002 SSB - OH6M - SOAB LP

Pasi Luoma-aho pasi.luoma-aho@sysopen.fi
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 17:40:17 +0300

                    OH6M - SAC 2002 SSB - SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 28-Sep-2002, 29-Sep-2002

    Callsign Used : OH6M

         Operator : OH6UM

         Category : SOAB LP

 Default Exchange : 59 #

             Name : Pasi Luoma-aho
          Address : Nuotiotie 4 F
   City/State/Zip : 02600 Espoo
          Country : Finland

        Team/Club : Seinäjoen seudun radioamatöörit - OH6AH/OH6AM/OH6M
                    Contest Club Finland - CCF

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Countries

   80SSB      69          67        138        22
   40SSB     244         244        564        42
   20SSB     346         344        846        56
   15SSB     400         394        987        60
   10SSB     225         221        531        48

 Totals     1284        1270       3066       228

    Final Score = 699048 points.

 Equipment:  FT-1000MP with Heil Pro-Set Plus headphones
             Old Compaq Contura 400C laptop with TRLog software
             80m: Dipole @ 12m
             40m: 3 el. Yagi @ 18m
             20m: 4 el. Yagi @ 30m
             15m: 4 el. Yagi @ 24m
             10m: 5 el. Yagi @ 12m

 QTH:  OH6AH/OH6AM/OH6M in Seinäjoki (KP12KS), about 350 km North from Helsinki.

* Soab box * :

Another great weekend with one radio, one tower, no packet, low power! ;-)

Special thanks to Jussi OH6ZZ for his efforts in trying to get rid of the bad 80m noise problem.  Without ZZ's efforts my 80m scores both on SSB and CW would definately have been disasters.  Not that many QSOs were made on 80m SSB, but they were all very much appreciated.

The contest start was pretty clammy for me. For some reason I repeatedly found myself using wrong band antennas during the first hours. (Un)fortunately the MP's tuner does and did it's work pretty well... The only thing lost was probably some dozens of QSOs.  And then - suddenly - the 10m SWR hopped to "infinite".  I was sure it was to be the end of my not-so-fluently-started contest.  But - after a looooong 30-40 second period everything was back to normal again.  However, I didn't feel very comfortable. A quick check up to the tower showed a jackdaw still having some sort of a fight with the 10m gamma match. Evidently the gamma match finally won this fight of territory with my slight 100w assistance...

After this incident everything finally started getting more or less smoothly also for me - without practically no need to even discuss with the sandman until the contest was over.  Some good "Paksalo polka" was played again - what's a contest weekend without it?  Although I'm not too happy with the QSO amount, I'm happy to have beaten the old SAC SSB scandinavian low power record by 12% - unfortunately I just was not the only one...

Lots of WRTC2002 team members, referees, judges and officials were met on the air again - great! Thanks for all the QSOs during the SAC weekends. CU again in SAC 2003!

The SAC 2002 CW & SSB operations probably were the last "serious" contest efforts (and unfortunately about the first ones too) done from this mid-city QTH.  We are all looking forward to the next QTH. There are still a few alternatives for the next location being discussed with the city officials, but one of them would clearly be "a dream come true" regarding to all the club activities - including contesting!  Let's hope that the decision-makers do the right thing.

Contesting IS!

73 es CU in the pileups!

Pasi OH6UM  (a.k.a. OH2IW)

 I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations established
 for amateur radio in my country.  My report is correct and true to the best
 of my knowledge.  I agree to be bound by the decisions of the Awards Committee.

2.10.2002   Pasi Luoma-aho   OH6UM